Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Using Intimidation As Motivation

We all have goals in life. We set goals for self improvement or to make our lives better in one way or another. I've never heard of someone setting a goal that would have a negative outcome. But with setting goals and creating dreams comes intimidation in the form of fear. 


We've all heard those inspirational quotes that tell us to use that fear to push you harder to reach your goal. But that's so much easier said than done. 
Unfortunately there are some of us who allow fear and/or intimidation to keep us from even trying. 

I used to be the shy, quiet type who would never step out of her comfort zone. I always thought it would be cool to do certain things but then I'd feel intimidated by all the people that were already doing it and I'd never even try. 

I have thought about doing a sprint triathlon for months but never looked for a training plan or took any steps in that direction because I was afraid. Afraid of all the "what ifs".
Afraid of finishing last.
Afraid of looking like a newbie.
Afraid of being laughed at because I might just have to use my cheap mountain bike instead of a nice road bike. 
Afraid of getting punched or kicked during the swim.
Or worse, touching a fish! Kidding...sorta.


I realized the other day that all I can do is my best. And I made up my mind to use all of those intimidating thoughts as fuel to motivate me to do it. 
Harder things have been done.
Much harder.

I know deep down that since I've set my mind to finishing a sprint triathlon this year, I will do it. I may not be the fastest but I'll finish. 

"Don't be intimidated by the impossibility, be motivated by the possibility."



2 comments:

  1. I love all the inspiration! And you're right, it's definitely better to use intimidation as motivation instead of letting it stop you from doing things. I used to just not do things if I was worried about not succeeding. But I realized that was no way to truly live life. I still struggle with this but I'm working on it :) Good luck with all the tri training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure I'll have my bad days where I might want to quit but for now I'm motivated and ready to give it my best!

      Delete

I enjoy hearing from everyone so please, leave a comment!