Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Why I Run & Live a Healthy Lifestyle


We all have reasons why we stay active and healthy. Whether it be for ourselves or for another reason, it's all for something. Every time I do something active (mostly running) I think of all the reasons why I do it. Especially when I'm struggling or just being lazy. So here's my list of the top reasons as to why I continue to stay active and live a healthy lifestyle:

1. I do it for myself. To some that may sound selfish, but to everyone who exercises in some way or another probably understands. I've always struggled with low self esteem. I've battled eating disorders since I was about 13-14 years old. (Confession: I STILL struggle with ED's as an adult) That being said, every time I work out, go for a run, do yoga or even make healthy choices when eating, I am boosting my self esteem. Even if it is only a little at a time. I am proud that after years of dealing with being 40+ lbs overweight I took the plunge and started running, doing old school workout videos and started eating healthier. I am happy with where I'm at today. Yes I'm still very critical of myself, but I am far from the self bashing person I used to be. It also helps me deal with my depression. It keeps it under control. 

2. I do it for my children. I want to set a good example. (as do most parents) If our children learn at a young age to eat healthy (and enjoy it) and exercise (play, be active) then we have given them a wonderful foundation for the rest of their lives. It will be something that just comes naturally. It will be something that they'll crave and enjoy doing. I also want to stay healthy so that I can do what I can to prevent illnesses that come with living an unhealthy lifestyle. I want to be able to run around with my kids and (Lord willing) grandchildren. I don't want my children to feel the way I do when I see my parents making unhealthy decisions. 

3. I do it for my husband. Some may think he's shallow for wanting his wife to "look good", but I disagree. He understands I've had two children and my body has changed. He loves me no matter what happens to my body, but I can see how he could lose that attraction to me if I were to gain that 40+ lbs back. Plus, according to what the Bible says, the woman was made FOR the man. I want my husband to be attracted to me, so I'll do what I can to stay in shape and keep him happy. 

4. I do it to (possibly) inspire others. Anytime I go running in town I hope that I inspire one person to get out there and do it. I remember seeing women running that seemed like they just started their weightloss journey, and they didn't seem to care who saw them. THAT motivated me. I want to inspire someone to be the best version of them they can be. I want people to see that life is worth living. 

5. I do it for all of those who can't. One person that comes to mind is my grandpa. I love him so very much. He's in a nursing home and he's dying. I know that sound harsh, but he is. His kidneys are failing, he has dialysis three times a week for 4 hours per day. He has an aneurysm in the back of his head that could burst at any moment. He has congestive heart failure and  a pacemaker. He's also diabetic and is so weak he can't walk. He has had multiple mini strokes and is losing his mind. Sometimes I'm afraid to go see him because I'm afraid he won't remember me. THIS is by far the worst I've ever seen a loved one go. It kills me to watch him suffer.  A lot of what he's dealing with could be genetic, could be just happen chance, but some is from bad life choices. He started smoking around the age of 10. (that's the same age as my son) He was never an alcoholic but he drank regularly. He was never violent or mean. He just looked scary. ;-) He worked hard farming almonds most of his life. He is one of the most important men in my life and every time I run, I think of him. I continue to stay healthy so that I don't end up that way. Or atleast I do whatever that is in my power to do, to prevent most of those things from happening. I never want my children to see their parents suffer. (I'm not saying he made choices that's causing him to suffer at all, just saying that I want to do what I can to prevent the preventable) I won't go into detail here but two other people who motivate me to stay healthy are my parents. They are on a similar, scary path as my grandpa. 

So there's my list. What are a few reasons you stay healthy? What motivates you to keep going? 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and Brave post! I actually didn't know you still struggled with food. I'm so glad you found running AND blogging so that you can share you story with others and also have support from the rest of us! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so thankful to have the running/blogging community! There are so many I can learn from and get advice and support from.
      What I struggle with is still having the mentality I used to when it comes to food..It comes and goes. If that makes sense..? I'm much better than I ever was though!

      Delete

I enjoy hearing from everyone so please, leave a comment!